13 April 2010

Sunny Point Cafe

So the second place we hit on my List, as referenced in posting on 11 April, was Sunny Point Cafe. Bean Counter and I have been here before, but since this thing just started I thought I would include it. Again, since this was day two of moving in, we got take-out...again. Affecting our second day of eating out in a row was the fact that my mom was in town helping with the move. Therefore we were treated to more going out to eat.

Sunny Point Cafe is an Asheville favorite of mine. They do a good breakfast as well as everything else. I enjoy the vegetarian and vegan options that they have, but with a southernesque and comfort food twist. Of course, on the weekends you need to get here real early to beat the tourist and weekend rush. I forget what Bean Counter and my mom had to eat since I am backdating this, so I won't make it up or make an effort to remember what.

I ordered the Ol' Fashioned: "Garlicky garden greens, pinto and canalini beans simmered in veggie stock, spiced-right nice bamboo rice, and cornbread with molasses butter." I like collard greens and the vast amount of nutrition they have. They are versatile and taste good when prepared well. Sadly they are saddled with a poor name and people who say "what do I do with this?" or "what is this?" when it comes to cooking or eating them. I felt like something more healthy since this was a rest week on the bike and trying to cut back on eating and calories.

Greens: The greens were good, but they used too much oil to saute or cook them. So they turned out a little more oily than necessary. Since they are called "garlicky garden greens" I won't file a complaint regarding the garlic.

Beans: You really can't screw beans up in stock with rice. You can make them better than bland though. The spices on the rice were good and mixed with the beans it was nice. It had a great taste and somewhat reminded me of my grandma's beans and cornbread dish (in terms of comfort), but with more gourmet and less Virginia.

Cornbread: Speaking of the cornbread, the standout there is the molasses butter. Wow, that stuff is good. It has a very smooth texture and goes on thin. If this stuff was in my fridge I would be using it in the mornings for toast as a guilty pleasure instead of Nutella sometimes. I attempt to make myself forget that they sell the molasses butter in the restaurant for home - or at least I think they do. I don't know, I forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment