18 April 2010

Sunny Point Cafe - Breakfast

The last post regarding Sunny Point Cafe was regarding dinner. This time we were there for a latish breakfast with my parents before they headed out. As mentioned before, you need to get here early on the weekend or do a really late lunch to avoid a big wait. Since we headed here during breakfast, on a Sunday, with a 2.5 year old, I was apprehensive. As luck would have it, we arrived and also were seated just before the big rush.

The breakfast offerings at Sunny Point Cafe are great and looking at the menu makes you plan when you can come back next for breakfast or that maybe we should make this a weekly or biweekly affair. So I forget what my mom had, I think an omelette. I forget what P had. I also forget what Bean Counter had, maybe french toast. However I do remember my dad had the short stack of Organic Orange Scented Gluten Free Cornmeal Hot Cakes: Surprisingly light hot cakes served with molasses butter and maple syrup. I had the Good Morning America America's Best Breakfast nominated Huevos Rancheros: Savory black bean cakes served with Snow Creek chorizo sausage, feta cheese, roasted tomatillo salsa, and herb tossed red skin spuds topped with two free range eggs any style, cilantro crema, and crispy tortilla strips with tofu chorizo.

Hot cakes: After breakfast my dad commented on how the hot cakes were pretty good, different. I initially took that as an aversion to something different from the typical conception of a hot cake. The next morning I tried the hot cakes that were left over. I can see where he would be somewhat averse if you were expecting a Bob Evan's hot cake. They had a subtle orange flavor, as is in the name, and were more "gritty," for lack of a better word, probably due to the cornmeal instead of bisquick or some other traditional batter. So while initially surprised by the taste and texture, I found them very good and would enjoy them for the next go around.

Huevos Rancheros: Wow. When I received my order I said something along the lines of: honey, we should have shared; or I'll be taking some of this home. Not so...ashamedly I ate the whole thing and resolved to have a small or nonexistant lunch. I can't imagine the damage this would do with the real chorizo sausage. As it is, this is a very unique and tasty rendition of the classic Huevos Rancheros. The black bean cakes were substantial by themselves, but with the eggs, tofu chorizo, tomatillo, cilantro crema, and spuds it was something else. It tasted so good. The kind of good where you are eating it, and before you know it you ate more than you are thinking you should or would, but you don't stop and it is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment