14 July 2010

2010 ETJC Road Race

One reason I was eager to upgrade from category 4 to 3 years ago was to get better start times (i.e. letting my late running, relunctant to wake self, get more sleep). Yet again I found myself leaving the house at 5:00 to meet Andy Kimble and Wade Turlington for an 8:00 start in Piney Flats, TN. The ETJC Omnium's Road Race was described as rolling. However, with three circuits for 105 km the more appropriate description was hilly. The loops consisted of two hill climbs but was punctuated by three more short and steep climbs made fast by my old debate partner.

The initial plan was for me to possibly wait until the sprint at the perceived uphill finish. Upon arrival, the finish was still a typical sprint. From there it fell to me doing as I thought best, Andy trying to get in a break, and Wade apparently just wanting to dangle off the back. We had a neutral start until after the train tracks (possible train schedule in the morning). The race was highlighted by only two lengthy breakaways able to go away. The first was a Boone Bike rider who made it almost 1.5 laps. The second being a TCRC rider for less of a time. Both having a maximum lead of around 1'20". I decided to wait for at least a lap to judge the course and riders.

Speaking of riders, while a small field, this was a strong field. Along with Tim Bell, the McKrystal debater, there were three Chainheart Cycling Studio riders, Youngblood Bicycles Dylan Cipkowski,two Smith&Nephew / Memphis Velo riders (very strong despite being slightly older without that "did he used to be a pro?" look), two Boone Velo riders (including the High Country Tour du Life Road Race winner in the category 4), and strong TCRC riders. Learning from Avery Trace I kept Tim Bell marked and made sure to follow whatever he was in. For laps one and two he made every hill hard trying to attack and get away. I made it into almost all of his attacks and started some on my own during lap two which he joined. But with the strong field and a small start list everyone knew the danger of letting a strong break get away and forming a break of more than one person proved impossible.

Near the end of lap two around 26-28 km from the end of the circuit, Bell made another acceleration - acceleration isn't even the ride word, maybe Cancellara-ing it is more appropriate - and created a split with two chainhearters and maybe Cipkowski. I was slightly too far back with a gap opening one or two riders in front of me. This was a real dangerous move and they almost had a winning gap. Lazy asses abundant forced me to do more work than I would have liked to shut it down. But it was either that or start racing for fifth place. This may be the move that the third Chainhearter helped to shut down too - obviously he hasn't seen enough of Phil and Paul's commentary where everyone learns beginner bike racing strategy.

On the third lap things settled down and Bell stopped the hill accelerations (if he had kept at it one or two more times he would surely have snapped the elastic of most of the field). Near the top of the first longer climb we set about reeling in the aforementioned TCRC rider. I tried to start a new debate with one of the Smith&Nephew riders - who apparently has no idea how to pull through in a paceline, while going uphill, and not trying to screw over your fellow riders at that point - as he left over a bike length between himself and his teammate behind him in the paceline which garnered my ire...as I was pulling through after him and couldn't very well do so. We caught the TCRC rider and I started to try more meaningful attacks hoping to bring one or two with me. Everything was chased and I decided to try in earnest at around 8 km to go. I attacked and was joined, then followed by the rest of the field. Then I tried almost right away again and it was slightly promising before a Chainheart rider bridged to me pulling the field on the finish stretch. After that some gusto was gone and it was looking like a sprint finish.

At this point Wade realised it wasn't a cookie ride and came blowing by me as I went the opposite direction, or at least it felt like that when the sprint opened. Wade capped the day by placing 6th. Right behind a junior who thought and felt and thinks that, maybe, he was 5th, or around 5th...he feels. While greater than my $15 at Avery Trace, Wade brought in $25...but unlike Avery Trace our waiting produced no check - supposedly they are going to mail it.

Heading home we mentioned how the small fields make it so hard and bigger fields you can get away. This theory was debunked at The Piedmont Triad Omnium - which shall go uncommented on. We arrived back in Asheville and decided to go to The Grove Park Inn and Sunset Terrace for lunch.  Andy's service partner Patricio hooked us up with so much food and drink that I thought I may have to become a sprinter or rouleur.

A day of good effort, food, company and down time. We should have left it there instead of trying for the double on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment